By Judy Elsner
SPRINGVILLE — Ever wonder about the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers organization? It was organized on April 1, 1901. The constitution of DUP states that the purpose of the organization is “to perpetuate the names and achievements of the men, women, and children who were the pioneers in the founding this commonwealth by preserving old landmarks, marking historical places, collecting artifacts and histories, establishing a library of historical matter and securing manuscripts, photographs, maps and all such data as shall aid in perfecting a record of the Utah pioneers.”
Interested in joining? What can you expect when you join DUP?
1. Enjoy membership with a great group of ladies.
2. You will receive registration papers from the registrar, or available online at www.dupinternational.org, then fill them in and return to the registrar within 30 days and pay a membership fee. You will receive the “Legacy” newsletter four times each year.
3. You can be an Associate of DUP if you are not a descendant of a pioneer who came before May 10, 1869.
4. Expect to present a history of an ancestor pioneer at a DUP meeting.
5. Prepare a short story of yourself to go into a camp scrapbook along with a picture of yourself.
6. Enjoy hearing the history of our forefathers.
7. Do your research at ISDUP History Department and Photo Department.
8. Bring friends and family to Pioneer Memorial Museum.
9. Volunteer at your local DUP museum and support your local community.
10. Enjoy the friendship of other DUP members.
Daughters of Utah Pioneers 2017-2018 monthly Camp Meeting Schedules
Camp Maple Mountain: Second Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. They meet at a member’s home in Mapleton.
Camp Canyon Sunset: Second Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. They meet at a member’s home in Springville.
Camp Calico: Second Thursday at 1:00 p.m. They meet at 878 West Center Street, Springville (Church Building).
Camp Cottonwood: Second Thursday at 1:00 p.m. They meet at 55 North Main, Springville (Church Building).
Camp Mountain View: Second Thursday at 1:30 p.m. They meet at a member’s home in Springville.
Camp Oak Hills: Second Thursday at 2:00 p.m. They meet at 1965 East Canyon Road, Springville (Church Building).
Camp Springville: Second Thursday at 1:00 p.m. They meet at a member’s home in Springville.
Camp Union: Second Thursday at 1:00 p.m. They meet at 1483 West 800 South, Mapleton (The Abbington).
Camp Sierra Bonita: Third Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. They meet at 616 Kolob Circle, Springville (Church Building).
Want to Join DUP?
Go to www.dupinternational.org and click on “Membership”, and then, “Application Form”. Print and fill out the form.
For questions, call the President of Springville/Mapleton Company, Patricia Maxey, at (801) 489-0990.
The Springville Pioneer Museum, sponsored by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, is located at 175 South Main Street, Springville. It is open on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. There is no admittance charge. Schools, scouts, church, community, family groups and researchers are always welcome. Call the museum at 801-491-2076.